Although teams and venues have a responsibility toward their fans to provide a safe environment, we as fans also have a responsibility to ensure our own safety. Always remember to follow venue rules and regulations and be a responsible fan.
It is important to be as prepared as possible when attending a sporting event. Along with your favorite team gear, banners, or whatever else you bring to cheer on your team, it is a great idea to have a good plan to ensure you have a safe game day experience. With that in mind we have compiled a few tips that might help.
Most of all, HAVE FUN! Remember it is just a game, and it is never worth putting yourself or someone else at risk!
- Be sure your cell phone is fully charged.
- Dress appropriately for the event you are attending.(i.e. footwear) If there is an emergency, you may need to leave the venue quickly.
- Make a plan with friends and family attending the event with you ,in case of separation, especially if attending the event with children.
- Prior to attending a game, visit our Game Day Hotline page to find the Text Code or Hotline for the venue you are attending and program it into your phone. If there is no Text Code listed, please contact security at the venue to see if they have a plan in place to contact security in case of emergencies.
NFL Game Day Hotlines
MLB Game Day Hotlines
MLS Game Day Hotlines
Prior to Leaving Home:
- Although it can be expensive to park in stadium and arena parking lots, sometimes spending a little extra money to park is your best bet. Most venues have police or security patrolling the parking lots before and after games which decreases the likelihood of an unsafe situation.
- Write down the section where you parked to easily return to your car after an event.
- Whether parking in a venue parking lot or outside the venue, always park in well lit areas.
- If you are parking outside the venue, be sure to park in a populated area.
- If you are tailgating prior to an event, be sure to always “Buddy Up”. Do not wander the venue alone .
- Drink Responsibly!
- If you feel you are in a situation which may become dangerous, walk away and text security immediately.
- Use your cell phone for Good not Evil. If you see someone in trouble, text security.
Before the game:
- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Make note of exits
- When arriving to your section, look to see where the nearest security guards are located
- When going to the restrooms, concession stands or walking around the venue, always “Buddy Up”
- If there is a fan in your area that is being disruptive or threatening, do not engage with them. Contact security and they will be removed from the venue.
- Be respectful of other fans, regardless of who they are cheering for.
During the game:
- Be respectful of other fans, when leaving the venue.
- When walking back to your car, Always “Buddy Up”
- If you are walking back to your car alone, do not hesitate to ask a security guard or police officer to accompany you.
- If you have been drinking or someone driving you has been drinking, find a security guard. They will call you a cab or help you figure out a safe way home.
After the game:
If you have a great tip you would like to share, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment below..